KABUL, Afghanistan - Taliban insurgents launched a series of attacks across Afghanistan over the weekend, killing more than 50 people within 24 hours.
As the new week started, Taliban militants returned to bloodshed after storming a military intelligence base near Kabul, and killing at least 43 people and leaving 54 others injured.
Over the weekend, Taliban targeted a security checkpoint in Karji area outside Farah city, after which, militants abducted two oil tankers on the road linking Jawzjan province to the northern Balkh province.
In another attack over the 24 hour period, a Taliban suicide car bomber targeted the convoy of the governor of eastern Logar province.
In the multiple attacks over a single day, Taliban killed more than 50 people, as the group stepped up fighting in the war-battered country.
In the western Farah province, Taliban killed five security personnel and left others injured.
The suicide car bomb targeting in the country's eastern Logar province left eight people dead and ten others injured.
While Taliban led a series of strikes, government forces too carried out targeted assaults against the insurgent group.
Ghulam Hazrat Karimi, an army spokesman in the northern Baghlan province said in a statement that government forces had killed 20 armed insurgents in the province.
Government forces also killed seven militants and injured 11 others in Qaisar district of the northern Faryab province over the past 24 hours.
In addition, Jilani Farhad, the spokesman for western Herat provincial governor, said that a bomb exploded among Taliban militants in the restive Zirkoh district, killing five insurgents and injuring four others.
However, on Monday, Taliban carried out a deadly attack near a high-security compound in the Afghan capital Kabul.
A bomb-laden car blew up on Jalalabad Road in eastern Kabul near the Green Village compound, which houses several international companies and charities, leaving more than 43 people dead and over 90 others injured.
The attack targeted the National Directorate for Security (NDS) base in central Wardak province and came hours before the Taliban held another round of peace talks with U.S. diplomats in Qatar.
Officials noted that the base in Maidan Shahr is a training centre for pro-government militia members.
The attack, which was one of the deadliest attacks on the secret service, killed mostly civilians.
Najib Danish, an Interior Ministry spokesman said that dozens of Afghan security personnel were killed in the attack.
He added that at least 23 children were among those injured in the bombing.
A security source quoted in reports said, "It was a powerful car bomb that knocked (down) a wall between Green Village and the customs office."
Officials said that militants stormed into the building using a captured Humvee that was packed with explosives.
Following the car bombing, at least two gunmen opened fire in the compound.
The NDS later said that Afghan security forces had managed to foil a second car bombing attempt.
Further, three would-be suicide attackers were killed by government forces.
Later on Monday, the Taliban said that they had attacked an Afghan special forces unit.
The group, which often inflates casualty figures from their attacks, said that 190 people had been killed in the attack.
Meanwhile, Afghanistan government officials said that they had recovered nearly 70 bodies from the rubble after the attacks.
Officials said that most of the casualties were caused when the Humvee exploded, causing a partial collapse of the roof of the building.